Where it is safe and legal to do so,
- Maintain a steady speed, using the highest gear possible to keep your engine working at its most efficient.
- Keep your tyres inflated to the correct pressures.
- Accelerate smoothly and decelerate smoothly by taking your foot off the accelerator, leaving the car in gear. Modern engines don’t use fuel under these conditions
- Anticipating traffic flow to avoid unnecessary gear changes
- Switch off the engine at short stop (less than one minute)
DVSA Safe Driving for Life Series
Do you want to save money and do your bit for the environment? Packed full of essential information for your life on the road, itincludes sections on driving economically, buying an eco-friendly vehicle and planning your journey.